unstable 1985 mariner 75 hp????

goodtimesfishing

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I am thinking about buying a 1985 75 hp mariner o/b, it is on a boat, but the boat isn't my concern. The problem is, when we test drove the boat it would go real good, with throttle open it would just slow down and sound like it was going to die, then all of a sudden it would take off again and drive fine...a minute later it would act like you let off on the throttle and almost die. Then off it goes again running fine. At one point it did die and did not want to start again until I sqeezed the primer bulb up hard again. At first it would not pump up hard and I kept sqeezing after several sqeezes it finally firmed up, but took several more sqeezes then most. When it is running I guess you would say it is surging....not sure what else to call it. Currious if you guys think this sounds like something simple or what could cause this. Thanks for any help.

bigtrout1949

Seaman Apprentice
Re: unstable 1985 mariner 75 hp????

No mechanic, but it sounds like a fuel hose/fuel tank/ fuel pump issue. My 90 does the same surging but all the fuel components are fine. Good luck