1975-1976 20hp (Mercury 200) Outboard - Worth Fixing? (Newbie Question)

tlarwa

Recruit
I just bought a 14' V-Hull aluminum Crestliner and this motor came with it. Based on the S/N (4058842), it looks like this is a '75-'76 vintage. The owner said the motor ran ealier in the year, but when we tried to start it there was gas leaking from the carb and it wouldn't start. He took it in to the local boat shop for an estimate. They said the carb needed to be rebuilt, and it needed a new float. They also said the lower unit fluid needed to be changed. The quote was for $380. They charged him $100 to look at it, which is applied to the bill if I get it fixed, so I'm looking at $280. Assuming what they do will truly fix it, is it worth it? Or are there possible hidden issues given the age that might make it risky? The other option is that I buy a repair manual for $30 and tear it down over the winter. I'm pretty mechanical (but not on boat motors, specifically) and have the tools I'd need. It looks like a carb rebuild kit for this motor is about $80 or so, and I assume that changing the fluid in the lower unit isn't rocket science.

I need to buy a motor if I don't fix it, and that will be an older one as well, as I dont want to put a lot of money into the rig. Any opinions on what to do?

First post, so thanks in advance for the help!:D

Tom

hotrod53

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1975-1976 20hp (Mercury 200) Outboard - Worth Fixing? (Newbie Question)

Your looking at an easy and inexpensive job if you are mechanical and DIY. Carb kits for my '77 Merc 500 were $10 each, fuel pump kits were another $10 each, changing the lube is a breeze, buy yourself a hand pump, and invest in an impeller, again not expensive. Hardest part is getting the shift linkage back on in sync when you reinstall the lower unit, many here can help.

Worth fixing? If it has decent and equal compression, absolutely!

tlarwa

Recruit
Re: 1974 20hp (Mercury 200) Outboard - which parts to order? (Newbie Question)

Re: 1974 20hp (Mercury 200) Outboard - which parts to order? (Newbie Question)

I appreciate the reply, hotrod. I think I'll take a shot at tearing it down and fixing it over the winter (what can it hurt, and I need a winter project!). I looked on-line, andit looks like there is a carb kit that is just gaskets, and then a full kit that includes a lot more stuff ($10 for the gasket kit and $70 for he full kit). Since I'll have it torn down, should I buy the full kit? Same goes for the fuel pump. Also, does anyone know if the full carb kit includes a new float, or do I need to buy that separately? Lastly, should I buy the impeller "kit" or just a new impeller?

Anyone know of a good source for a repair manual for this motor? Any good download sources (I have an iPad so I can use that vs. a printed manual if it's cheaper).

I just want to make sure I have everything I need before I start, and that I do everything that I should while I have it torn down. I have all winter, so if there are other items that can be/should be rebuilt, let me know!

Thanks,

Tom