Mercury Wiring Schematic

Username1

Recruit
New to the forum but hopefully the my details will be right to the point. Ignition switch is out on my 1980 Mercury 80 horse outboard. The serial is in the 480'000 range if i remember correctly with no power trim. I have referenced it in the past and it is a 1980. It uses a Mercury Quick silver controller with a auto choke (ignition key switch depression to engage) key switch. This has become the faulty component in starting the boat. I am currently seeking a replacement but I am seeking a wiring schematic for this switch. It has six pins and I understand some of the color codes (choke solenoid, neutral switch) but not all of them. If any one has this along with an appropriate engine wiring schematic I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks for your time

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: Mercury Wiring Schematic

The maxrules website will have a wiring diaghram for that motor. The only real question is whether you have the new wiring colors or the old. The changeover was about that time on the inline motors. The old choke wire was grey. The new choke wires are yellow/black. Which do you have?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Wiring diaghram is on the maxrules website. Colors are yellow/red for starter solenoid; black for ground; red for battery; purple for ign accessory; yellow/black for choke; grey for tach signal; black/yellow for ign killer;

trav44

Cadet

sorry to jump on the bandwagon, mines a 1978 belgian 402, i have a stray wire which is either yellow/black or vice versa, where would these connect to as its attached to the main loom coming in to engine and isnt attached at its end, so where would it connect to for choke and where for ignition killer, the reason im asking is because i have just replaced the starter solenoid and tried to fire her up, only to find the engine wouldnt stop turning over even when i pulled the key so had to undo the battery which was a bit scary as im a novice with electrics, the engine turned over but would not start, and i found the loose wire on inspection, any help so very gratefully received, and a wiring diagram which includes the yellow/blk or blk/yel will love you forever, lou

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

You should start a new thread of your own, not hijack someone elses thread with a completely different engine and question.