1988 Mercury Classic Fifty 45HP Hard Start/No Start

darkwang

Recruit
I was hoping someone could verify that my problem is most likely the need for having my carbs rebuilt. The engine is hard to start and usually takes quite some time of cranking and cranking with the fast idle set to max before it will fire up and even then it will keep dying sometimes unless I push the key in to choke engine repeatedly as its stalling. If it does get up and running it will run just fine the whole time until I turn it off. There is also fuel leaking somewhere behind the carbs and I dont know if this is from over priming the bulb or what, but it does leak some especially on this one spring/screw object near back underside of carb ( I will post picture pointing to it) I would just like to know if this is most likely signs of needing my carbs rebuilt or something else. There was enough fuel one night that the gas trickle actually caught on fire outside the motor and I had to quickly throw water on it to put it out. I saw what was either fire pops from carbs or electrical sparking. I check for electrical sparks by spraying soapy water on everything while it was running the next day and didnt find any electrical sparks, so I assume I was seeping flame pops from the carbs which ignited fuel drips that night? I have already checked spark at plug using a spark tester and it jumps a nice gap with blue spark. Thanks for any help anybody can offer in this situation. I will post a picture (specifically pic 4) showing where the main drip is seen. Thanks for all your help!
http://s1182.photobucket.com/albums/x458/darkwang/MERCURY%20CLASSIC%2050/

oldman570

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1988 Mercury Classic Fifty 45HP Hard Start/No Start

If the carb is leaking fuel at the screw on the carb then it will be sucking air there also when trying to get it to start. Time for a rebuild of the carb as nothing last forever. JMO
Oldman570

darkwang

Recruit

Im very happy to hear confirmation from someone else that my problem most likely lies in need to rebuild the carbs. Is there a specific recommendation for a good rebuild kit that includes everything I need to do the job right and not have issues? Im assuming just gasket kit for $7 isnt enough I need a full kit with needle valves, etc. and so far it seems like maybe http://www.maxrules.com/fixmercurycarbkits2.html is the best? it will cost roughtly $160 because the motor has 2 carbs.

oldman570

Lieutenant Commander

If you get all the needles, jets, floats, an gaskets in the kits, that price sounds about right for 2 kits. You might want to check out on here along with Crowley Marine , Seaway Marine, And Old Mercs for prices also. You probly will not need floats nor jets to fix what is leaking, as it is probly a O ring gasket or the float set to high causing the carb to leak at that location.

darkwang

Recruit

well I took both carbs off today. Once I removed things in the way of my viewing, I pumped the bulb to see where fuel was leaking more easily. The bottom carb had a decent amount pooling and dripping from where the opening is for the choke butterfly. I assume this means I should definitely just do a complete rebuild while its out. I do not have a manual though and was wondering if there was any tutorial or parts assembly chart on the internet. Also my other major issue is that I cannot for the life of me figure out which carbs I have on this engine, which is a 1989 by the way and not 1988. On Maxrules.com and others it shows the carb numbers to verify what kit I need, but my carbs dont state WMA-4 or anything else all I see is a WMA with a 1B on one and a 2B on the other in front of WMA. There are also lots of other numbers scattered around on the carbs, but nothing exactly matching what I need for ordering! I just dont get why mine only say WMA and no -number after it....... any additional help would be very much appreciated! Thanks.

oldman570

Lieutenant Commander

The carbs are WMA b series and one is marked for where they go on the motor more than likely. WMA B1 on the top and WMA B 2 on the bottom because of the way the throtal shafts are made. When taking them apart watch for a small metel tab that is in the link between the carbs. It is VERY easy to loose and is needed for the bottom carb to work.

popsgahagan

Recruit

well I took both carbs off today. Once I removed things in the way of my viewing, I pumped the bulb to see where fuel was leaking more easily. The bottom carb had a decent amount pooling and dripping from where the opening is for the choke butterfly. I assume this means I should definitely just do a complete rebuild while its out. I do not have a manual though and was wondering if there was any tutorial or parts assembly chart on the internet. Also my other major issue is that I cannot for the life of me figure out which carbs I have on this engine, which is a 1989 by the way and not 1988. On Maxrules.com and others it shows the carb numbers to verify what kit I need, but my carbs dont state WMA-4 or anything else all I see is a WMA with a 1B on one and a 2B on the other in front of WMA. There are also lots of other numbers scattered around on the carbs, but nothing exactly matching what I need for ordering! I just dont get why mine only say WMA and no -number after it....... any additional help would be very much appreciated! Thanks.

So, Did you ever find out the answer to your question? I think I have the exact same carburetor. WMA, and a 1B on bottom carb but can't find the replace kit. What did you end up doing?