88 Mercury 35hp outboard - no forward/reverse

rstier

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi, when pulling up to my dock I attempted to go into reverse and noticed I lost both forward and reverse. I pulled the motor cover and the shift cable and mechanism seem to be moving as they should when I move the console shifter. What would be the best place to start in troubleshooting this further?

Thanks in advance!

rstier

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: 88 Mercury 35hp outboard - no forward/reverse

Any thoughts on this one? Do I need to pull the lower unit and check the shift shaft or could it be something simpler? I guess I just need to understand the next logical steps to take when troubleshooting this. Thanks.

Hi, when pulling up to my dock I attempted to go into reverse and noticed I lost both forward and reverse. I pulled the motor cover and the shift cable and mechanism seem to be moving as they should when I move the console shifter. What would be the best place to start in troubleshooting this further? Thanks in advance!

rstier

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: 88 Mercury 35hp outboard - no forward/reverse

Issue was a broken shift shaft to the powerhead. Pic attached of offending part.

Any thoughts on this one? Do I need to pull the lower unit and check the shift shaft or could it be something simpler? I guess I just need to understand the next logical steps to take when troubleshooting this. Thanks.

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    2.6 KB · Views: 0