Charging Problem - 1983 Mariner 80 - Voltmeter Jittery??

italstalyon

Recruit
My charging system was all bad. Replaced the rectifier once and it blew again. Checked stator and it was resistive on all leads. Replaced the stator and rectifier and then started the motor and read the voltage at the battery. When the voltmeter was connected to the battery the gauge began to jump around and was so jittery I could not get a good reading. I shut the motor off and am concerned that something is not right but have no idea what to do now. I checked the rectifier and it seems to be good so I am lost as to the jittery reading. Anyone have a clue?
thanks

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Re: Charging Problem - 1983 Mariner 80 - Voltmeter Jittery??

What do you mean by jittery??? Start the engine and set meter on AC and check stator voltage on each wire, both should be within 1-2 volts of each other, if not disconnect from rectifier and retest. If ok now rectifier is bad,if one side still higher than other stator is bad...

italstalyon

Recruit

What do you mean by jittery??? Start the engine and set meter on AC and check stator voltage on each wire, both should be within 1-2 volts of each other, if not disconnect from rectifier and retest. If ok now rectifier is bad,if one side still higher than other stator is bad...

Thanks for the feedback. When I check across the battery before changing the stator the meter (motor running at idle) I had 12.6 v. I proceeded to change the rectifier and stator and did the same procedure but the reading was jittery going very fast to 18,14,16 as fast as the eye could see. I changed meters and got same. Shut it off, thought for a while and next day took a cheap little meter I got from Harbor Freight and this time I am reading 13.6 v at idle! I still don't know why these highend meters were so jittery in their readings.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

I don't either in making the price comparison other than their input circuits were more sensitive, maybe had sensitive ranges your HF didn't so the electronic noise generated by the engine running interfered with the reading. I have had several of HF's little $4.99 meters and they work great for what I do. I also have their $20 or so one and it too works great, the one in the yellow rubber case.

Mark