30 HP Yamaha built mid 80's Mariner Which dealer for parts? Yamaha or Merc?

Skidooosl

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I am a bit confused... maybe someone can help explain this motor to me. Its a 83 30hp Mariner that is pretty clearly Yamaha built... even has the yamaha logo right on the block. Every time I go to a yamaha dealer they argue that they do not sell parts for this outboard and I need to go elsewhere but when I ask them to give me the part for a 30 hp yamaha of the same year it is always a match. A local repair shop did not have an impeller in stock and recommended that I went to a merc dealer.... This dealer does not sell yamaha but did stock a quick silver impeller for this outboard.

So in the future should I be able to get parts at a Merc dealer for this? Are Yamaha built Mariners considered to be Merc or Yamaha?

Thanks!

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Re: 30 HP Yamaha built mid 80's Mariner Which dealer for parts? Yamaha or Merc?

They are Yamaha's sold under the Mariner name ,just like Tohatsu's 4 strokes are being sold under the Evinrude and Mercury name..

Skidooosl

Petty Officer 3rd Class

They are Yamaha's sold under the Mariner name ,just like Tohatsu's 4 strokes are being sold under the Evinrude and Mercury name..

Who would service these outboards? Would they be Yamaha or is mariner considered a mercury? Just wondering what dealer I should be going to for parts.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

Usually the Yammy dealer is best bet and prices are cheaper