2004 Merc 125 Shift Linkage Problem

qcarlson

Seaman
Here's the issue when the boat arrived this link was sitting in the bottom of motor disconnected, The only way it seems to fit correctly is the way i have it connected in the Picture below? but when I fire the engine it Revs extremly high when disconnected engine runs normally. does anyone have a picture of a correctly installed one the diagram for it does not seem to clear. thanks for any input or help.
Shift Link 2004 Mercury Outboard.jpg

Dave1027

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: 2004 Merc 125 Shift Linkage Problem

That's not the shift linkage. It's the oil injection linkage. You need to have somebody do a sync/link (syncronize the linkages) on this that knows what they are doing. Better not run the motor any more till you do else you may burn it up.

qcarlson

Seaman

Sorry I didnt mean shift link! thanks for the info

qcarlson

Seaman

is there a way for me to sync this at home? I have to believe that if someone at a shop can do it with a little guidance or reference I can acomplish it. Thanks, again

qcarlson

Seaman

all right I just spoke to the Merc dealer 1.5hrs away he stated that the link is installed incorrectly and holding the carb open! this was my intial thought. so if anyone has a Picture they could Post of one that is properly installed that would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,