Odd serial number on Mercury XR2...need help identifying

f1maxis

Cadet
I have a Mercury 150 XR2 (still has original decals on cowl) with serial number 5678292 on the plate located on the transom bracket. That serial number crosses to be either a 1980 or 1981 model V-150, it appears that the XR2's weren't produced till 1986. The previous owner said it was a 1987 model. Does anyone know how I can tell for sure the year and whether it is actually an XR2 model or not? Thanks for your help.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: Odd serial number on Mercury XR2...need help identifying

There are a couple of XR2 experts on this forum. You might measure the gearcase hub diameter. I think the XR2s had the small (4-1/4) gearcase size. Of course a lot of those powerheads interchange between many years. You might look for a serial number on the block, or at least a part number on the block. Perhaps you have a newer powerhead and older midsection, or the PO was confused.

f1maxis

Cadet

Thanks...that's some good info. Also, most of the XR2's I see also say "Black Max" on them as well but mine does not, only XR2, and it's on a decal at the bottom of the cowl. The "Black Max" motors I've seen also say "150 Oil Injected" on a decal on the top of the cowl...mine says "V6 Power Trim" I think.

jt6187

Recruit

I ran into clsoe to the same issue. My serial number is 5578134. I have found the same v150 80 or 81 model. I look on the Mercury site and it says serial not found, but in the sticky on this forum it falls in the range you are finding. When I bought it I was told it was a 1986 model. My cowl does not say XR2. It is the blue stripped one. The front cowl plate says V6 Power Trim. The gearbox is the large case one. This probably doesn't help you much, just found your comments interesting.

Dukedog

Captain

Seen a lot of XR2 production motors over tha years but never one built on tha "first generation" block! Earliest I know of here in tha States was late '84 ta '87. Oh well! If you look at tha base of no. 2 clyinder where tha case halves meet, kinda right behind tha advance timing arm there will be a "build date" stamped in tha block. Will be M/D/Y in about 1/8" numbers. Sometimes kinda hard ta read. Also look on top of tha block for a "welsh plug". Looks like a freeze plug. Might be a serial number stamped there. Same applies ta yours jt......All V6 Merc/Mariners have a build date stamp.............2.0,2.4,2.5 motors anyway!