1993 mercury 200 offshore, water pump/pisser?

Groupergulper

Seaman
i recently purchased a 93 Robalo with a 93 mercury 200 offshore only used in freshwater. On muffs (i know) It was not pumping water out the telltale stream. so i replaced the water pump, and now it pumps water out but at idle it takes about 10 seconds and it streams out kinda erratic. at higher rpm it streams out fine, is this a common thing or????

oldman570

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1993 mercury 200 offshore, water pump/pisser?

If when you rewplaced the water pump impeller, and if not replaced the compleate cup and lower plate , it might do as you stated. It should not hurt the motor as long as you get some water out of the tell tail at idle and a good soild stream when above an idle. Best to replace all the parts of the waterpump if any groves are in the cup or plate as they will let water pressure out and can shorten the life of a new impeller. JMO
Oldman570

Dukedog

Captain

What he said 'bout tha pump but what your seeing is typical for tha thermostats. They have a tiny by pass that lets some water by till they reach operating temp. and pressures. Don't think I've ever seen two motors operate tha same when it comes to initial start up. You really need a water pressure guage to moniter whats goin' on..........jmo

Groupergulper

Seaman

Yes. I replaced the whole thing. Plate impeller. And top cover. I am just used to my old Johnson which had a steady stream all the time.