Needed: 2.5L, 200 EFI

CLAYC

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I recently became the victim of the crap fuel we are paying $3.50 gal for. I destroyed my engine... Now I'm in search of an engine block...

2001, 2.5L, 200 EFI Block which uses the O-ring head..

all suggestions / help are greatly appreciated..

Clay

CLAYC

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Needed: 2.5L, 200 EFI

I've decided to scrap the idea because I'm looking at 4-5K on a rebuild, and I still have an old lower and engine w/ minimal or no warranty on the powerhead..

Now I'm looking for the best deal on a '11-'12 Merc 200-225 Pro XS..

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

What evidence, other than mythology, do you have that fuel "destroyed" your engine. Why has it not destroyed the thousands of other engines that have been using it for years?

I think you need to look for the real reason your engine is "destroyed".

CLAYC

Petty Officer 3rd Class

What evidence, other than mythology, do you have that fuel "destroyed" your engine. Why has it not destroyed the thousands of other engines that have been using it for years?

I think you need to look for the real reason your engine is "destroyed".

Well, it's pretty easy to determine when the fuel is full of water, the fuel filter (which was changed recently) is full of small particles and evidence of fuel that is breaking down, all the fuel lines being new, and prior to the fuel lines being installed, the tank was cleaned / checked prior to being re-fueled.

Guess the proper answer is the #6 piston is fried "due to water" and /or ethanol levels higher than what's advertised on the pumps. (Just like the Gasoline that's mixed in Diesel Fuel, which is not advertised on the fuel pumps)

JB, I may be new to outboard engines, but I've been building 500+ hp NO2 injected street/ strip Ford and Chevy Big Blocks for over 25 yrs. These engines will definitely let you know it when they are fed bad fuel. It's not hard to determine what causes most engine failures. The fuel blends in MO are a lot different than in TX, hence why my cousins F150 drops 4-5 mpg on fuel purchased in MO vs TX.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

It does sound like you got a batch of contaminated fuel, Clay. I guess I am too sensitive to the "ethanol is evil" mythology.

CLAYC

Petty Officer 3rd Class

It does sound like you got a batch of contaminated fuel, Clay. I guess I am too sensitive to the "ethanol is evil" mythology.

I don't think Ethanol is evil, it's a good alterative fuel source. However, we all know that using Ethanol in engines not designed or modified to burn Ethanol can have dire consequences.

It's not just the outboard engine's that are having issues. I spoke to a gentleman, who works on / sells chainsaws, weedeaters, blowers, Etc (echo, Stihl, Huskvarna,.....) who is seeing lots of damage to these types of engine's due to the high Ethanol and/or water levels in todays fuel. I, like him, believe we are purchasing fuel which has higher levels of Ethanol than what's posted on the pumps. Consumers, like myself and others, use this fuel without knowing the higher concentration levels exist within. I'll use Ethanol, but not in an engine not suited for it.