86 mercury 135 overheating & high water pressure

bud smith

Cadet
Hi everyone I hope you can help me out. I recently purchased a bass boat with a 86 mercury black max 135. The first thing i had to replace was the stator and did a total rebuild a fuel system including rebuilding of the carburetors. I had one day of good fishing with no problems. And the next day it started overheating, according to the temp gauge anyways, it runs in the middle of the gauge while ideling put it on plane said and the temp goes up quick . So We replace the water pump completly, new poppet valve including both metal plates. Replaced both thermostats, all water lines are clear i have good water flow and the cooling system is functioning like clock work.

So i take it down the lake about 45 mph the overheat alarm goes off, i take a IR temp gun and the hottest spot i can find on the whole block is 164 deg and the water from the tell tale is 140, the stats are working just like they should. So frustrated i installed water pressure guage and printed a flow chart to compare to and i am way out there. 12 psi at idle and pegs the needle at 30 psi above 2500 rpm.

I know there are a lot of smart folks here and sure hope someone knows a solution, thanks in advance

Bud

UPDATE

Well my overheating issue continues.

Here's a list of things we have done
1. Complete water pump rebuild
2. New water tube and seals including power head seal
3. Power head and exhaust plate gaskets [ found power head gaskets had holes]
4. New head gaskets [ heads were clean and flat with straight edge ]
5. New water jacket gaskets [ water jackets were clean ]
6. Exhaust divider plate gaskets replaced.

Water pressure still remains high [ idle 5-10 psi ] running above 2500 rpm it pegs at 30 psi ]

We found no obstructions anywhere in this motor and probed and blew compressed air through every hole. This motor was and is very clean.

I am at my end with this motor and so discouraged, I am tempted to just part it out and move on and hopefully find another motor next year.
I know you guys have dealt with these issues on the forums so many times and probably sick of overheating threads, I have tried everything i have read about and nothing seems to work. So if you folks can think of anything to try i would be very appreciative.

Last edited:

bud smith

Cadet
Re: 86 mercury 135 overheating & high water pressure

I forgot to ad that we dropped the motor down it was on the last hole, and the compression was 130 on all 6

Dukedog

Captain

High pressure is "usually" a restriction somewhere in tha motor. Air can cause it but it usually bounces around a lot. It might pay to double check all tha water pump gaskets for an unforseen tear. Stuck poppet. Did you change tha drive in fiber washer along with tha rubber one? Could be a adapter plate and/or powerhead gasket.

Temp horn should not be goin' off at those temps. Sensor might be suspect..............jmo

bud smith

Cadet

Hi Duke thanks for replying, yes we have double checked the suggestions you have given in your reply, I did notice high water pressure when i pulled the thermostats one at a time I,m thinking there may be blockage in the water jacket somewhere so i have ordered all new gaskets to redo the back end of the motor including the exaust plate. heck this motor will be almost new....:D

P.S. I have replace the overheat sensor and the temp sensor for the temp gauge

Dukedog

Captain

Sounds like your on tha right track. Tha two gaskets I was refering to are tha powerhead and tha one in tha middle of tha two piece exhaust ADAPTER. Not the divider. The only way to find out if its tha culprit or maybe some debris in the adapter itself is to pull tha powerhead.............

bud smith

Cadet

Thanks Duke, Those gaskets I guess that will be the next step once we see what is going on in the water jackets.

bud smith

Cadet

Thanks Duke, Those gaskets I guess that will be the next step once we see what is going on in the water jackets.

Well i replaced about ever gasket on this motor and problem still exist, i updated my first post.

schematic

Lieutenant Junior Grade

-Have you recleaned the carbs? (maybe running lean)
-Can you reach your previous Max RPM at WOT?
-Have you tried running with poppet and its cover removed? (check for water volume)
-Have you re-propped lately?
-What is the temp right on the sensor when alarm rings?