Mercury 850 Outboard not starting

sweberhart

Cadet
We just purchased a 71 Seaswirl with a Mercury 85hp outboard. Two days ago when we purchased the boat it started and ran just fine. We launched it yesterday at the lake and it wouldn't start. We thought we had flooded the engine and the battery eventually wore out. The plugs are fine and it has spark. The gas is new. The gas line bulb is full. There is what seems to be a rubber button kill switch on the gear box. Is that what it is? We tried the choke that is in the key switch as well as the throttle. We tried to start it today when it should no longer be flooded. Any ideas on why we can't get it to start?

Moody Blue

Captain
Re: Mercury 850 Outboard not starting

Not likely that you've flooded that motor. They need LOTS of fuel to start. Almost impossible to flood them. Chances are there was not enough fuel to start it because I'm thinking you did not properly operate the choke.

1971 vintage you will probably have the MerControl type throttle/gear controller. The key switch is ONLY to start and does NOT have a choke function. The rubber button you describe is the choke button and not a kill switch. You need to press and HOLD the button down while cranking the engine. You should hear a definite clunk from the motor when the choke button is pressed.

hoosiercaver1

Seaman Apprentice

On my 1970 115 merc I put the warm up lever up as far as it will go pump the bulb till its hard choke it, then crank for 4-5 sec. Then I pump the bulb a couple more times to insure that the fuel is to the carbs. Then another 4-5 sec. of cranking and mine usually starts. Then in unchoke it and lower the warm up lever as much as u can without it dying till it warms up. I'm sure they r all a little different but that's what works for me.

sweberhart

Cadet

Not likely that you've flooded that motor. They need LOTS of fuel to start. Almost impossible to flood them. Chances are there was not enough fuel to start it because I'm thinking you did not properly operate the choke.

1971 vintage you will probably have the MerControl type throttle/gear controller. The key switch is ONLY to start and does NOT have a choke function. The rubber button you describe is the choke button and not a kill switch. You need to press and HOLD the button down while cranking the engine. You should hear a definite clunk from the motor when the choke button is pressed.

The guy we bought the boat from said that there was a choke function in the key switch. He said if you push in the key you will hear a click from the motor that the choke is engaging. We did hear that click from the motor. The button does not seem to function. The top came off and even if it was together, there is a large gap underneath the top of the button and anything underneath it. Not sure how it could function the way it is.

Moody Blue

Captain

Do you have the MerControl type or the Quicksilver type? If it is the MerControl type, then somebody has replaced the ignition switch with an aftermarket one with choke function.

Do you operate the fast idle lever as suggested by hoosiercaver1 above? Very important.

Is there a deadman switch installed somewhere? Is the motor tilted up or down when trying to start?

countryboy26047

Petty Officer 1st Class

On my 1970 115 merc I put the warm up lever up as far as it will go pump the bulb till its hard choke it, then crank for 4-5 sec. Then I pump the bulb a couple more times to insure that the fuel is to the carbs. Then another 4-5 sec. of cranking and mine usually starts. Then in unchoke it and lower the warm up lever as much as u can without it dying till it warms up. I'm sure they r all a little different but that's what works for me.

This basically the same exact way I start my 1975 merc 850... With the exception that I don't squeeze the bulb after the initial cranking. The cold start lever is a very vital component in starting these old beasts... Even after its warmed up, if I shut it down for more than 15-20min I have to raise this lever at least half way to fire it up.

icharles4

Recruit

I have mercury 850 1975 mod. no spark first try to start put a jumper across 1 and 3 on dist trun over eng with starter a few times then take off jumper and starts right up the rest of the day where are the capicators in dist or s/w box? aqny sugestions