update 1993 mercury xr6 overheat @ wot

dave2092

Seaman
Well had some junk weather today so I cracked open the bottom end after work to see what was going on. Everything looked fine impeller in good shape pics attached. Well as i was putting everything back together i noticed 1 of the water intake hole was plugged with chunk of rubber that looked like a piece of old impeller a Allen wrench and some needle nose did the trick to get it out. I did replace housing and impeller this winter. I was thinking maybe @ wot that chunk of rubber was getting sucked up into pump or causing a restriction but could something that small cause that?? Piece was little smaller than a dime. Anyone think I should crack the heads to see if there is junk in there.or instead of going through all that would it be safe to crack the thermostats and blow some air from the air compressor at low psi through the cooling line?? Would that be bad for head gaskets I would think not but I don't want to take a chance of accidentally ruining one of them by taking head off. Not looking for the easy out just don't want to ruin gaskets with my fat fingers and have to order new ones and wait for the UPS guy (no fish for a week :().. any thoughts? ?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: update 1993 mercury xr6 overheat @ wot

A 25P prop is likely to be a bit too much pitch, unless the boat is real light with a fast hull. Remove the impeller and see if any rubber is missing. Check closely as it may not be obvious. Pull thermostats and poppit and put hose on water tube and give motor some light water pressure. If hose is just slipped onto water tube(no clamps), high pressure will cause it to pop off before it damages anything.