Timing and sync questions 1990 mercury 115hp

reimelss

Petty Officer 3rd Class
The boat:
My brother and I recently purchased a 1990 sea ray br1600 with a 1990 mercury 115 hp 2 stroke.
I have a feeling my brother went to make an idle adjustment at one point and messed with the timing by mistake.
Please bare with me as this is my first outboard.

The symptoms:
The motor starts up fine but performs like crap when I increase the throttle and this happened out of no where, it was performing great last time I had it out. The rpms are at only 3400 at wot.
Today I started with new plugs today, champion ql78yc, going with what the previous owner had in there, but I just got the manual and they advise to use NGK-BPH8H-N-10.
After getting on the water the performance was very poor, low rpm and sounded like it was misfiring.
I removed the plugs and 2 looked a little wet and golden brown and the others were white and dry.
Then I noticed the carb cover was loose.. It seemed that the screws vibrated loose or something... I was able to find screws on the boat and secure that back on.

Question 1.) I noticed on that cover it said do not operate engine above 3k rpm with cover removed.. Is there damage that can come from this? It wasn't removed in my case, just not secure.

Question 2.) after purchasing the manual, when I adjust the timing do I also have to do the carb sync? Is that all of the timing adjustment process?

Question 3.) does autozone have a dial indicator or does any one know of an inexpensive one to purchase?

Like I said this is my first OB, so if I am missing something here please let me know. At insight would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

aussieflash

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Timing and sync questions 1990 mercury 115hp

Q1 No it wont damage...Q2 Yes to sync carbs....Q3 Yes they should stock,if not just use a measure stick..very easy and costs $0.00c.
Get back to basics and check spark with tester.Then check compression.Check fuel lines,filter,pickup,carbs are all clean.

reimelss

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Oh man my worst fear....
1-30
2-112
3-115
4-90

What now?

Charlie61

Petty Officer 1st Class

sound like you know what your doing . I know you put oil in them. it could be the reeds it's work changing them but lower cost
good luck

aussieflash

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Did you recheck those comp #s.Did the same on my V6 with #2 cylinder at 50 but luckily on recheck it was at 120,must of stuffed first reading.
Otherwise its rebuild time.Rings are shot and by running like that im guessing its scored cyl.