Yamaha mariner 15hp overheat/no water pump/ prop question

cow30629

Recruit
This may be the wrong forum but it said it was the mariner forum. Any help will be much appreciated.

I have a late 80s mariner 15hp made by yamaha. My wife was running it in the tidal creek and it cut off completely. I found out that the water pump has stopped pumping out the tell tale. She said it had started to make a hissing sound b4 it quit.

It could be full of grit but it will get a water pump anyway. Is there a thermostat that should be changed as well? Is there a chance it ran so hot it will need to be rebuilt? It cranks and runs cold now. I think it was supposed to have had a pump earlier this year when I bought it but I know they hit the sandbar several times with it so its liable to have eaten some sand.

Second set of questions- I have a 14ft lowe flat bottom jon boat that is fairly wide. With 3 people (me,wife, kid) it is pulling around 475 lbs. Is this motor large enough for that? It seems to have trouble planing out and going? Is there a prop someone can recommend that will help?