2000 2 stroke mercury

wrw

Recruit
engine starts fine but once into high speed after a while randomly the engine wants to die but recovers. (loss of power)

i have replaced the line from tank to motor and seemed to slightly resolve it however i still cannot get the primer ball to become hard enough for pressure?
it does fill up the reserve chamber in the motor.
wondering if it is the fuel pump leaking?
motor runs fine in idle
i don't want to paddle if necessary LOL

GZWW

Recruit
Re: 2000 2 stroke mercury

engine starts fine but once into high speed after a while randomly the engine wants to die but recovers. (loss of power)

i have replaced the line from tank to motor and seemed to slightly resolve it however i still cannot get the primer ball to become hard enough for pressure?
It does fill up the reserve chamber in the motor.
Wondering if it is the fuel pump leaking?
Motor runs fine in idle
i don't want to paddle if necessary lol

you didn't mention the size of your engine, is it a efi or optimax???
The following is my personal opinion from running mercury outboards for 50 yrs
good start with replacing the fuel line, however with the ethanol fuel we are being forced to use, make sure you used a ethanol approved fuel line or your troubles are just beginning.
Replacing the squeeze bulb is a good idea if its not holding pressure, check valves inside can good bad and ethanol fuel are breaking down the inside of bulbs and hoses,(never use a aftermarket bulb and hoses, get it from your dealer.)
mercury makes three fuel/injector cleaner, they are numbered, use #2.
Mercury fuel pumps sometimes cause problems when they sit (not being run) so if you don't run your motor very often try the #2 in your fuel for a couple of tank fulls
you mentioned that it seemed to be better with the new fuel line. The old hose and current bulb may be slowly depositing debris to your motor, look inside your old hose to see if the interwall is damaged or wrinkled up. Change your bulb, put a new fuel filter on (if it has one).
Spark plugs that are starting to foul out can make it act this way, so change them. These are things the dealer is going to do anyway in trouble shooting your motor. If after all of this and you still go to the dealer, make sure you tell him what you have replaced so he doesn't do it again.
Put the ejector cleaner #2 in your fuel and run thru a couple tanks full before you go to a 80 dollar per hour authorized dealer. The above are some of the cheapest things you can do to try and do it yourself. There are other things that can cause these same symtoms, but behond the above, its going to get pretty techical and more complicated like checking reed valves, fuel pump pressures, firing systems or timing, etc. Don't burn ethanol fuel in your outboard if you can help it or any of small engines, even if it is higher in price, it will save you money in the long run. Your car or truck can handle it but not 2-cycle engines...mechanics are getting rich off the 2-cycle owners. If you have a carburated motor burn the fuel out of the carb, ever trip, before you pull it out of the water. Even if your going to use it the next weekend, that tip is big, do it without fail. Fuel injection motors is not necessary.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: 2000 2 stroke mercury

There are several myths in the previous post.
1) You CANNOT run a carburetor dry. There will always be some fuel remaining. And where you have no fuel there is air to gunk things up. Since two strokes depend on oil in the fuel for lubrication, one or more cylinders will quit before the other so those will be running dry. This is not a problem on an engine with a single carb but your 90 has three of them (unless it 's EFI of course)
2) Ethanol blended fuel is fine for your engine -- it was designed to run on it. Use of a fuel system treatment is a good idea whether or not you run blended fuel.
3) Once an engine is started there is no pressure in the fuel line because fuel is being "sucked" through the line by the fuel pump. There is pressure on the "output" side of the pump which feeds the carburetors. Primer bulbs should be held vertically when being pumped as some of them simply don't pump when held horizontally.
4) Bogging or surging at high speed is generally a fuel delivery issue and is generally due to a weak fuel pump.
5) A stuck anti-siphon valve (built in tank) may be causing a fuel restriction at high speed. Have you noticed that the primer bulb is collapsing when the problem occurs? If so, the issue is a blockage between the bulb and the pickup in the tank.
6) When the problem occurs, have someone squeeze the primer bulb to see if the engine picks up. If so, the fuel pump again is suspect.