1981 mercury 115hp

lundtyee

Recruit
I have a 1981 115hp mercury outboard motor... ever since I bought it a couple months ago, I have been having troubles with it running, and going into gear.... it seems to start ok but every time I put it in gear it stalls, I have to push the throttle way up(while running) and then back it off to get it to go anywhere...? Once it?s moving in gear it runs real smooth and pretty responsive...? I ran a can of sea foam through it and that did nothing but foul out the plugs, I cleaned out the carbs, and still doing the same thing... what?s causing it to kill every time I put it in gear????

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1981 mercury 115hp

If the carbs are clean, they are likely not adjusted properly. Did you clean and rebuild the carbs with new gaskets? Did you install new floats, inlet needles and seats? Are the float levels adjusted properly? Did you adjust the idle mixture screws properly?

Charlie61

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1981 mercury 115hp

I have a1983 115 inline and having bad time getting in to gear. I just replace the enrichen vale becaue it may have be sucking air. check to see if you can ajust it . mine will change idle speed by turning the pin on top