Mercury 1965 35hp Lower Unit removal Problems

elchrisam

Cadet
Hi all. I am trying to remove the lower unit from my old Mercury 35 hp 1965 outboard. I have all the bolts out and it only comes down around 1/2 ". I notice that the gear linkage is moving but not coming away.
Is there a secret to getting this apart. I have used so much force I am bending the bottom plate.

Thanks for looking, I am nearly in tears as I cant get it apart.

65fabuglas

Cadet
Re: Mercury 1965 35hp Lower Unit removal Problems

Did you get it appart? I believe I have exactly the same motor and had exactly the same problem this spring. (you probably saw my post) I endend up using the back two nuts (where they fit inside the undercut on the cowling), with some really thick washers, to help push it off. I also had to (carefully) pry with a flat pry bar. I am still not certain what was causing the binding - I think it is probably the copper tube for the waterpump outlet binding where it enters the powerhead.

Also, word of warning, put some old pillows or foam underneath the lower unit when you start prying , or secure with bungie cords or something - mine went bang onto the floor , I was lucky not to crack the it..

I feel you pain - good luck!

elchrisam

Cadet
Re: Mercury 1965 35hp Lower Unit removal Problems

Did you get it appart? I believe I have exactly the same motor and had exactly the same problem this spring. (you probably saw my post) I endend up using the back two nuts (where they fit inside the undercut on the cowling), with some really thick washers, to help push it off. I also had to (carefully) pry with a flat pry bar. I am still not certain what was causing the binding - I think it is probably the copper tube for the waterpump outlet binding where it enters the powerhead.

Also, word of warning, put some old pillows or foam underneath the lower unit when you start prying , or secure with bungie cords or something - mine went bang onto the floor , I was lucky not to crack the it..

I feel you pain - good luck!

Thanks for your advice. I did manage to get it apart by using some oak wedges and a big hammer. It was the copper pipe causing it to bind. Some bright spark had used a putty like substance to seal the top joint at the motor end. I did a bit of damage to the bottom casing but not enough to cause a problem.
I am a happy boy now its off.