1987 mercury 150 XR2 takes forever to go full throttle

mysportfury

Cadet
:facepalm:the very first time i took the boat out this year, i was pushed back in my seat when i went to full throttle. after the first run it just seams not to want to jump out of the water like it did. fuel ratio is 50:1 premix, oil injection was disconnected before i bought it. i bought new plugs and will put them (NGK BU8H) this friday. bought a hydrofoil to help with the plane, but the engine just seems to hang out befor the rpm goes to wife open. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. the boat idles great and starts every time.

mysportfury

Cadet
Re: 1987 mercury 150 XR2 takes forever to go full throttle

ok, changed the plugs and no fix. looking to check the compression. i had two plugs that really didnt look that bad compared to the other 4 plugs. still looking for suggestions. is there anything in the exhaust that could cause me to loose power? kinda like a flame arrestor? the engine fires up fine, and runs great @ idle.

leach0369

Cadet

sounds like the problem I just had.. Sounds like the power packs have gone bad.. Read my thread I just got it back from the shop and I had both power pack had went bad..

mysportfury

Cadet

i checked the compressin on my cyl and #6 was at 0psi. all the other cyl were 125 and stayed @ 90-100psi. the #6 piston is bad. i am hopin i will be able to just replace the one piston, but we'll see. this motor is worth fixing, i have an 87 stratos 189v and with all cyl firing, the boat flies over the water. i will post updates.

mysportfury

Cadet

ok. it has been a long while since my last post. i dropped off the boat yesterday. ( I Know, I Chickened Out)
i was planning on tearing into the engine myself, but i just dont want to screw it up. i have a mechanic (referred by many sources) that is going rebuild the engine. i will probably be close to 3500.00, but I will know what all has been done to my engine. if i find me another boat for cheap, i may run into the same issue. this way i wont have to worry about it. Im 4 to six weeks out from getting it back and I will update when i do. I will also post a good / bad report on my mechanic.