1965 mercury 650 seems when wide open it goes into neutral and revs up and goes no

russell_t

Recruit
new to this bought two parts motors for 100 bucks couple years newer, got the 65 switched to thunder bolt ignition as my 65 had no spark it runs now took it on lake and when i was cruisin around for a bit opened it wide open not so impressed thought i would hit some speeds of mabey 50 miles a hour but it didnt , 15 minutes on water and was going wide open it reved up like it went in neutral , was a little sad 2 days ago worked on it took lower end off and got to gear case and didnt end up pulling it all apart lubed her up put back together few times to get it right, want to head back to lake today, runs great on land sounds like it would haul *** but afraid it will mdo same thing any body any help would be appreciated motors on a 16 foot glastron

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1965 mercury 650 seems when wide open it goes into neutral and revs up and goes

Sounds like like driving on ice, russell.

Spun hub in the prop?
Prop ventilating?

russell_t

Recruit
Re: 1965 mercury 650 seems when wide open it goes into neutral and revs up and goes

lol well took her out again today, guess cleaning and lubing the gear shifter deal worked cruised arond for 3 hours or so didnt happen , i thought today i would increase the mixture from 50:1 to 40:1 trough that with pemium fuel and some injection cleaner stuff to help clan it all out , well it drove like i was moving a mountain lol was thinking this is embarssing lol lots people there today , so we went 4 miles up dam on way back let daughter drive and i jumped on the bow lying there it was so slowand all of a sudden bshe started to icrease rpm and took off .well then i thought mmm mabey te shaft is to long or the angle is in way to much a first it has a foot swell bogging on way back with me on bow it had one foot and shooting it a long ways and it actually became a little fun, does this sound familiar to any one else or is my boat and motor playing with me lol? my throttle in reverse react right away once shifted forward gear one put in you have to move leaver all the way forward then it picks throotle up then yu have only 1 inch of throttle mabey thats the problem and i need to set that up to.