Mercury 9.9 2 stroke shifter linkage

juplie

Recruit
HELP!!!
I recently took apart the lower unit and replaced the impeller and put everything back together and after it is all bolted back together the shifter is stuck in the forward position and wont budge. I am wondering if there is a secret trick to align the shifter linkage into the lower unit or do i have to be in a certain gear. I got so frusrated that I gave up.

oldman570

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Mercury 9.9 2 stroke shifter linkage

Yes the shifter lever and the LU should be in the forward gear when removing the LU for repair. You will need to remove the LU and place the leaver and LU in forward and reinstall to get the shifter to work again.
Oldman570

juplie

Recruit
Re: Mercury 9.9 2 stroke shifter linkage

Yes the shifter lever and the LU should be in the forward gear when removing the LU for repair. You will need to remove the LU and place the leaver and LU in forward and reinstall to get the shifter to work again.
Oldman570

Thanks for such a fast response.
Three more questions. How do i know when the LU is in forward position and how do i manually shift the LU into forward.
My problem is the shifter has to be in the reverse position so i have enough room to fit a wrench to tighten the 5 bolts from the impeler and guts to the LU and to also have enough room to get the C clip on the shifter rod. Is it as simple as loosening the screw that is attached to the shifter rod that is not on the inside of the motor. And on the botom of the shifter rod is an " ARROW HEAD" looking thing. Which way does the angled part of that ARROW HEAD need to be facing. Towards the prop or away from the prop?