Thermostat / Poppet valve replacement.

donaldboyer

Cadet
Hi all,

1989 90hp

I want to replace the thermostat in my engine as I think it is the original. Can anyone give me any advice, or things to do/not do etc. Does anyone have a link to a Selocs manual for this job?

Also, do I need to replace the poppet valve as well? Talked to the Merc guy today and he wanted me to bring the boat in as he thinks the poppet vavle will need lathed and maybe the seat milled?? What do you recommend? Can I pull it out and check it's condition visually?

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Donald
New Zealand

oldman570

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Thermostat / Poppet valve replacement.

Replacing the thermostate and checking the popit valve is a fairly easy job and can be done with a few simple tools. Removal of the bolts and housing cover can be a chalange if it is a salt water run motor tho. Most stats are set to open at 145% F. and the sender is at 190%F.
The popit valve can be inspected and replaced at the same time if the seat aera on the wate jacket plate is not corroaded and in good shape, other wise it will need to be repaired.
Bolt removal is the biggeest problem as they will break off if not done vary carefully. One might have to heat them up some if they are stubbon. If it is a salt water motor, and you cannot get the bolts to lossen up fairly easy, you might be better off to take it to the shop.
JMO Oldman570