79 merc. 850, carbs leak and prim bulb soft

skeeter79

Recruit
My 85 hp runs fine at idle and on water muffs, but n the water it will stall when I speed up. The primer bulb will go soft and it will run as long as i keep pumping. it has been to the shop 2 times and the fuel pump has been rebuilt and carbs cleaned. at least thats what i paid for. Also i have new lines and tank now. I have found a line that is rotten but i cant find where it goes, i do have a bit of gas and oil mix in the housing below the carb. do i need to rebuild them again? if so does anyone know the part number. thanks to everyone

pcrx

Cadet
Re: 79 merc. 850, carbs leak and prim bulb soft

My 85 hp runs fine at idle and on water muffs, but n the water it will stall when I speed up. The primer bulb will go soft and it will run as long as i keep pumping. it has been to the shop 2 times and the fuel pump has been rebuilt and carbs cleaned. at least thats what i paid for. Also i have new lines and tank now. I have found a line that is rotten but i cant find where it goes, i do have a bit of gas and oil mix in the housing below the carb. do i need to rebuild them again? if so does anyone know the part number. thanks to everyone

i just went through my 1979 175 mercury carbs. on mine - 2 of the floats were not making contact. this was resulting in gas to overflow and leak down. the fix was to carefully remove the floats and bend the tab/hinge just so they would make contact again.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: 79 merc. 850, carbs leak and prim bulb soft

Skeeter, parts are readily avail for those carbs of yours. I recommend you install new gaskets, floats and inlet needles and seats. They are pretty easy to clean and rebuild, but it sounds like the shop messed it up. The fuel pump is also real easy to rebuild. Can you take it back to them and observe their work? If not, get an OEM Service manual and rebuild them your self. The float levers need to be parallel with the carb covers, when the covers are inverted.