1972 Merc 115 Tower-- Drive shaft, Prop seal, Trim cylinder, Lower unit gear oil

MACH1SCJ

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thanks for all of the help so far guys!

1) The drive shaft had a thick coating of grease on it the fill length. Shoud I recoat it going back together? And with what?

2) Is the prop seal replaceable without taking the complete lower unit apart?

3) The port trim cylinder is leaking at the seal. What are the chances of rebuilding it? Looks like it will unscrew if the threads are not seized.

4) What weight gear oil or do I need "lower unit oil" ?

kazek

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1972 Merc 115 Tower-- Drive shaft, Prop seal, Trim cylinder, Lower unit gear oil

1,grease is there to protect drive shaft from the corrosion.i can use coat of Vaseline instead
2,to do the right job, bearring carrier needs to come off.there is few treads about that here in forums about home made pullers.the one made from plate is one I used
3,?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1972 Merc 115 Tower-- Drive shaft, Prop seal, Trim cylinder, Lower unit gear oil

I use marine grease on all my driveshafts to protect against corrosion. Your driveshaft is mild steel, and will rust badly w/o protection.

Ditto on prop seal. Are you sure prop seal is bad? Waterpump seals and gearcase plug seals are real easy to install.

use any Marine gear Oil for mechnaical shift motors. Gearcase will take 25 oz or so.