1972 mercury 1400 outboard wot hesitation

Rickryda

Recruit
So i am new to the boating scene, but i have a problem. I acquired the boat a year ago free of charge but not so free. I started off putting a new prop on it, rebuilding the carbs, and new wires, new fuel line, to list the least. Motor runs fine out of the water and ok in the water until i open it up at Wot. Once it is at wide open throttle I get the speed but every now and then. But when it gets up in speed it sounds like it wants to go some more but hesitates and never continues to give me full power. Then it just loses power and backs down maybe 20 mph or more at times. then i have to back off the throttle so it doesn't totally bog down and cut off on me. Then i can give it more throttle and im back up to speed for about two minutes and the same thing happens all over again. Its a never ending cycle every time I'm on the water. Im getting great spark on all cylinders. Now im at my wits end because ive done everything i think it could possibly be from spark to fuel. Help me out here. I just want a good summer with the kids towing the inflatable without stalls. And getting to my fishing spots without the delay.

Wingedwheel

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: 1972 mercury 1400 outboard wot hesitation

When you re-built the carbs did you set the floats correctly? Do a link and sync?

MACH1SCJ

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Sound like the carburator bowls might be running dry???? lack of fuel volume... Fuel pumps? Tank vented?

Rickryda

Recruit

When you re-built the carbs did you set the floats correctly? Do a link and sync?

When i rebuilt the carbs i did a link and sync. And i set the the floats properly that is what is puzzling me because it does seem as if the motor isnt getting enough fuel but if that is the case i dont know whats causing it. Carbs and lines are all in check

Rickryda

Recruit

Sound like the carburator bowls might be running dry???? lack of fuel volume... Fuel pumps? Tank vented?
Fuel pump may be the culprit, I haven't touched that at all. Maybe its not pumping at the volume that its needed for Wot. I shouldve replaced everything on it when i got it because when i started working on it you could tell that a wrench has never touched it. I was just happy enough to have it on the water to go fishing. I will check on that tomorrow and let you know thanks