help! 1991 Mercury 175 xr4

saberslob

Recruit
Purchased my first boat in march and have run into numerous problems with my motor and need some advice/help. When I bought it, it would not plane, would overheat, and suddenly not start at times (or crank at all). I have installed new switchboxes, a new starter, and new thermostats, and almost all my problems but one have dissapeared. Here is how a typical outing goes: Lower boat into water, starts 1st or second try but usually on fast idle. Idle out of slow speed area and gun it, she gets on plane and quickly screams to 55-60 mph. Run around for a minute or two and taker her off plane. Begin to idle in to wherever i intend to fish, or load the boat back up. Then it starts to idle really rough almost as if its missing. If I catch the problem quickly and get it back on plane, she screams down the lake again, but as soon as i take her in idleing, it comes back. I then attempt to load boat up on the trailer and when i give it some gas to snug it up, she putters and dies, with not enough power to get it all the way up on the trailer. To me it seems like an ignition problem, because it idles just fine for the first few minutes but once she gets warm, it goes south. No problems at wide open throttle. Once it finally dies, it will be hard to start if at all. But take it home and an hour later after cool down, and it will start and run normal again on muffs. Could it be the low speed windings on the stator? Possibly a coil problem when it gets hot? I looked at the stator and didnt really see much to be concerned with, at least in my eye. Can I rule out a fuel/carb problem? any tests that i can perform to isolate where this problem is coming from? PLEASE HELP! Thank you