a starter problem, please help

goat lady

Cadet
I took my boat to the lake last weekend, and it ran fine started every time I hit the key. today it had a starter problem. when I turn the key the starter turns but wont stop even when the key is turned off, had to remove the ground cable from solenoid to stop starter. I took the key switch out of the dash and unplugged it. then tried to attach the ground cable to the solenoid again, and with the key switch removed the starter tried to turn and I pulled the cable away to stop it. whats my problem, a bad solenoid would be my guess. does any of you guys know for sure with what I have said? thanks in advance for any info.

hotrod53

Chief Petty Officer
Re: a starter problem, please help

The solenoid is nothing but a heavy duty switch. If you pull the small wire off of the solenoid and it still does it, your solenoid contacts are welded together. If you remove the small wire and the problem resolves, then it comes back when you reconnect it, its electrical related like an ignition switch. I'm betting solenoid based on your description, you had the switch unplugged which essentially would be the same as removing the small wire on the solenoid. If you measure continuity between both big terminals on the solenoid, it should be an open circuit. If its a closed circuit or close to zero resistance, its bad.

goat lady

Cadet

The solenoid is nothing but a heavy duty switch. If you pull the small wire off of the solenoid and it still does it, your solenoid contacts are welded together. If you remove the small wire and the problem resolves, then it comes back when you reconnect it, its electrical related like an ignition switch. I'm betting solenoid based on your description, you had the switch unplugged which essentially would be the same as removing the small wire on the solenoid. If you measure continuity between both big terminals on the solenoid, it should be an open circuit. If its a closed circuit or close to zero resistance, its bad.
thanks for the reply, I removed the wire on the left, the small wire on the other side was a ground. then with the key switch still unplugged, I touched the ground cable to where it bolts on and the starter tried to begin turning. so I ordered a new solenoid from iboat, should be back on the water this weekend.

79Merc80

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Hello:

It would be helpful to let us know what engine you have.