60hp mercury 2 stroke outboard

tim77

Recruit
I have a 1992 Mercury 60hp outboard, 2 stroke, 3 cylinder. Hard to start, when I get it going, it dies after a few minutes. New plugs, plenty of spark, fuel filter is good. ? I'm stumped, thanks

1nebel0

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 60hp mercury 2 stroke outboard

I have a 1992 Mercury 60hp outboard, 2 stroke, 3 cylinder. Hard to start, when I get it going, it dies after a few minutes. New plugs, plenty of spark, fuel filter is good. ? I'm stumped, thanks

Here are the steps I would do.. First a complete compression test to make sure all cylinders are equal and around 110-125...Next I would check for spark on all cylinders. Now that those things are good to go...does the bulb stay firm..if not you are sucking air...when was the last time the fuel pump was rebuilt...$15 and an hour and your good to go...next will be the carbs..when was the last time they were rebuilt...turn the idle mixture screw in until it bottoms-GENTLY.....back out he screw 1 1/2 turn to get it going..final adjustment needs to be done in the water...how about lync and sync of the three carbs..very important...lastly what about timing...somebody needs to make sure this is correct..lots to check but wih a manual and some basic skills and tools easy to do..hope this helps point you in the right direction.

hotrod53

Chief Petty Officer

+1 of fuel pump. Also you may want to replace your fuel lines, the ethanol eats them up and they can collapse inside and still look OK.

Wingedwheel

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Yea I just replaced all my lines and was still having problems until I realized I missed one. The line that comes from my built-in tank under the splash-well.