1987 150 XR2 overhaul/rebuild

jtro

Cadet
Went out for a run last evening and the motor just stopped wasn't running hard or anything.Motor will not turn over completely. Think a carb plugged up and motor went bang. Any tips on tear down and rebuild would be appricated heading out now to remove heads and inspect.

Thanks
Jim

jtro

Cadet
Re: 1987 150 XR2 overhaul/rebuild

Removed piston looks like it will be able to be cleaned up and replace piston and the rod. How far should i go with it complete rebuild hone cylinder and replace piston?

jtro

Cadet

Does any place sell a complete overhaul kit?

Senior Chief Petty Officer

How do the bores look? Any scratches you can catch your finger nail on?

jtro

Cadet

Bores look good My plan is to replace the one piston for now found some used rods pretty cheap have the carb kits,piston and gaskets coming hopefully Wednesday.

What's a good cleaner to use for the carbs?

Thanks
Jim

mysportfury

Cadet

could you tell me what manual you have. I had an issue with my 87 xr2 and found the #6 cly @ 0 psi. so i will be tearing down and i am hoping i only need to change the one piston. pretty big bummer.

jtro

Cadet

I have the Seloc manual

I ended up doing what I said removed the one piston only and replaced the connecting rod with a used one I found and a new piton the same size .015 over. I rebuilt the carbs and removed the oil injection. checked compression and all is good 115-120 every cylinder have taken her out for several run since then doubled up on oil for the first tank second tank did one half normal now running on forth tank of 50:1 it was a little tricky to get the rod torqued but after some modified sockets we did it.

tysdad2010

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I have the Seloc manual

I ended up doing what I said removed the one piston only and replaced the connecting rod with a used one I found and a new piton the same size .015 over. I rebuilt the carbs and removed the oil injection. checked compression and all is good 115-120 every cylinder have taken her out for several run since then doubled up on oil for the first tank second tank did one half normal now running on forth tank of 50:1 it was a little tricky to get the rod torqued but after some modified sockets we did it.

I had the same thing happen to your motor as mine....its a 85 blackmax 150...But for some reason my guy is wanting to new lower bearings...new rod bolts.... new connecting rods... rebuild carbs.... service lower unit....add fuel/water seprator " for some reason this motor never had a filter on it since I have owned it and never knew it" ...change all the fuel lines on the motor...new spark plugs...bore the one cyclinder and hone the other 5 ...none of them are beat up or scored...this motor seems to me a low hour motor...I want to talk to him about doing what you do to save me a bunch of money! oh ya my oil injection has been deleted for a long time now...

Whats the reasoning for doubled up on oil for the 1st tank ....what do you mean by that 50:1 is 16oz for 8 gallons right? so what did you run for the 1st tank of gas? and then the 2nd and 3rd tank?

jtro

Cadet

50:1 is actually 2.56 ounces oil to 1 gallon of gas 1st tank I doubled it up and put 5.12 ounces oil to one gallon of gas in to help lube while cylinder was breaking in on the first, second tank I halved that so I put 3.84 ounces oil to 1 gallon gas. I am running 50:1 now .

I shop I'm doubting will want to do what I did because they usually will do some sort of warranty. Also if they have to bore it out they pretty much have to tear the whole thing down to do it properly. I just honed the one cylinder after it failed I didn't bore it.

Being a mechanic myself in the auto field and it also being my boat and knowing how easy these motors are to break down I choose to do it the way I did.

Jim

tysdad2010

Petty Officer 3rd Class

50:1 is actually 2.56 ounces oil to 1 gallon of gas 1st tank I doubled it up and put 5.12 ounces oil to one gallon of gas in to help lube while cylinder was breaking in on the first, second tank I halved that so I put 3.84 ounces oil to 1 gallon gas. I am running 50:1 now .

I shop I'm doubting will want to do what I did because they usually will do some sort of warranty. Also if they have to bore it out they pretty much have to tear the whole thing down to do it properly. I just honed the one cylinder after it failed I didn't bore it.

Being a mechanic myself in the auto field and it also being my boat and knowing how easy these motors are to break down I choose to do it the way I did.

Jim

Ok gotcha thanks alot

Saiyajin

Recruit
I know this is an old thread, but do you have to completely remove the powerhead to replace a single piston?

Last edited: