mercury 150 xr2 low compression on one cylinder. hope to rebuild this winter.

mwe-maxxowner

Master Chief Petty Officer
ReI have an 84 black Max 150 xr2. To make a long story short, I had an oil line sever while out one day. Didn't know that was the problem, but suddenly sounded bad, got low on power, and cut off. I was drifting toward a dam, so I got it to fire up and drove half a mile to the truck. There was a little oil in the tank on top of the motor, so I think it was getting a wee bit of oil, but not enough.

Next morning put oil in it, and fired right up first try, ran as good as ever. Next trip to the lake, very pleased. Runs great. I ran a compression test, and the top left cylinder is 60 psi. The rest are 115-125. It may have already been that way, I really don't know. I know it could run this way for years, but it could quit next time out. So I want to rebuild it this winter. Is this a good idea? Or just keep running it. The motor is noisy, but I figure that's normal.

The main purpose of this thread is to seek tips specific to rebuilding this motor. My father and a friend, who have rebuilt motors before, and are comfortable with two strokes and small engines, will help. But I don't know if they have experience with boat motors or not. So anything we need to know specific to this motor I'd like to know.

I hope I can just sleeve that cylinder, or clean up the cylinder walls and replace the rings and be good to go. Its a nice boat and does exactly what I wish, and I have little money in it, so if I can figure out how to get parts, I think it is worth rebuilding if I can do it myself.

As is, the boat (19 ft Dixie 6 person runabout) will run 50 and jerk the handle out of my hand if on a wakeboard on takeoff with a 19? aluminum 3 blade prop. Could I expect much power gain from getting the other half of that cylinder back?