82 mercury 80 hp

mike the boater

Recruit
having a no spark issue with my boat?! was running fine last week even when I flushed it out. now I have no spark to any cylinder??? could really use some help on this everything looks near like it was recently replaced. the previous owner said he had done lots of work. you can tell the switchbox coils trigger stater and even the fly will look new???? dug into the wiring a little and sol really nothing on both ends. I did have a problem earlier with my rectifier shorting out.... don't know why but I replaced it seem to fix the problem? does anyone have the home testing procedure? can this be caused by the use of my gel cell batterie? also read about red stators mine is black? just really curious as to how this happened!!? any advice would be great or someone who knows the mercurys!! thanks guys

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: 82 mercury 80 hp

Disconnect the rectifier and tape the yellow stator wires to insulate them from each other and from shorts. See if spark returns. If not disconnect the black/yellow wires at the switchbox as well as the Mercury Switch and see if spark returns. If no-go, get on the CDIElectronics website and run the troubleshooting procedure for your 4 cylinder, ADI ignition motor.