Pulling the flywheel on a 1973 20 HP Mercury

Grandpa Steve

Recruit
I need to pull the flywheel on my 1973 or 1974 20HP Mercury Outboard. In searching the internet I've seen a lot of problems with regards to not only marking the flywheel so that it goes back on in the same position but also questions on if the center bolt was removed. My questions that I need help with are below:
1. Do I need to remove the center bolt to take off the flywheel? It doesn't look like the flywheel will come off without removing the center bolt but I've seen comments that make me think that this isn't a good thing to do.
2. What is the best way to mark the flywheel to insure that it goes back on in the same position.

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral
Re: Pulling the flywheel on a 1973 20 HP Mercury

That center nut is what holds the flywheel on. There is a woodruff key on the crankshaft so the flywheel can only go on one way. Be sure to torque it to specs when re-installing. You will probably need a flywheel puller to remove it. I use a harmonic balancer puller with an impact wrench.

eoitker

Seaman Apprentice

I have a stuck flywheel too, on my 73' 9.5. I just found ou that O'reilys Automotive will loan you a puller. They have several to choose from so I'm going to try the harmonic balancer like "bhile" mentioned above.
Thanks!

eoitker

Seaman Apprentice

The harmonic balancer puller worked like a charm!