Need help with timing belt on Mercury thunderbolt 1500 150hp

stickyrice

Cadet
I went to replace my timing belt since it had snapped and i can seems to figure out how to get it one if anyone could help it would be most appreciated

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: Need help with timing belt on Mercury thunderbolt 1500 150hp

You mean how to install the new timing belt or where to buy one?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: Need help with timing belt on Mercury thunderbolt 1500 150hp

OK, Remove the eight 5/16" bolts that ring the flywheel nut. Remove the outer flywheel and stator (4 allen screws). See if you can install the belt onto the toothed pully. I cannot remember if you can install it w/o pulling the center flywheel. Hopefully you can. If not pull the inner flywheel and install it.

Install the inner flywheel (it only fits one way) if you needed to remove it. Install the stator. Now install the outer flywheel with a couple of bolts, but leave them loose. Stick a screwdriver into the top cylinder and turn the flywheel until the piston is at top dead center. Now remove outer flywheel bolts and turn outer flywheel only until TDC timing marks align with timing pointer or cowling support timing mark. Install the outerflywheel bolts with some blue locktight. With flywheel set to TDC, turn distributor pully until cast arrow on pully points to one or three dots on timing decal. Install timing belt and pully cover. use Blue locktight on bolt.