1988 Mercury 115 Inline 6

Jimmyjames11

Recruit
I have a 1988 Mercury 115 inline 6 that was sitting for about 3 years on the side of a cornfield. I am trying to get it back into running order as it was not winterized or fogged prior to just sitting. When I tried to turn it over it wouldn't budge. I took out the spark plugs and have used everything I can think of- 3 cans WD-40, pb blaster, have used two Gallons mystery oil with a turkey baster along with a few quarts of 30 weight oil. I got it to the point where the flywheel will turn a 1 1/2 times freely and stop. When I turn it the opposite way it does the same and stops at the same point. Also about 3 years ago when I was moving it a gal bumped into the prop lightly and there were no marks. Any suggestions would be very very helpful. I got laid off, my truck ran into and only liability, and now my girls about to leave me. This is all I have to get going and back on my feet.

wired247

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1988 Mercury 115 Inline 6

Sounds like when your prop got smacked it might have locked the lower up. Drop the lower and see if the motor turns over.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

yes, if the flywheel turns more than one turn, it is not a problem. Gearcase is 2::1, so maybe you have an issue with a part of the forward or reverse gears. Did you check/replace the gear oil?

Jimmyjames11

Recruit

Yes, there were no metal particles or milky oil when I changed it a few days ago.

mr 88

Commander

By doing this you eliminate the drive from your problem or find out that is the source of it.Checking the oil or changing it will not fix a broken gear or messed up prop shaft.You would see metal shavings only after it ran for a while and you say someone ran into it,which may have sheered a tooth or jammed it and has not been run since.Stainless or aluminum prop?
Sounds like when your prop got smacked it might have locked the lower up. Drop the lower and see if the motor turns over.

Jimmyjames11

Recruit

Stainless. I just pumped a gallon of mixed gas through the plug holes. When it got to the forth a white milky substance started coming out with the gas.

redjmp

Chief Petty Officer

Well the powerhead might be ok if it turns more than 1 turn.
I agree with the other poster about removing your lower unit and seeing how well it turns over then.
In fact if it does turn maybe you could try hooking up a battery and seeing if it will turn over on the starter so you can get some compression readings.
If the compression is ok it might just need a new lower unit.
If not I don't think it would be a good investment to spend all that money on trying to save it as you could buy a good used one for less...