Trim tilt 1998 Mariner 135 2L

Barneythesailor

Recruit
I have been having trouble with the trim tilt on my 1998 Mariner 135.

I have concluded that it is low on fluid I removed the plug on the left Cylinder reservoir and no fluid came out.....

My questions

1. Do I put the new fluid in this same whole I removed the plug from? What is the proper procedure to put in new fluid?

2. How do I bleed the system? I read on a forum that this is a self bleeding system ..... I read that just raise the motor 3 to 5 times and this wil bleed the system...... Is this procedure correct? If it is correct, do I raise and lower the motor with the Plug installed or remover?

3. Do I need to do anything with the manual relief valve? What is this for? I read someplace online that this relief valve should be loosened .... Is that to bleed the system? Also if I do need to loosen this relief valve, I tried with a large common screwdriver, but it would't budge. Any suggestions if I do need to loosen it?

I am new to,the forum..... Thanks in advance

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: Trim tilt 1998 Mariner 135 2L

Filling an dbleeding is real easy. Tilt the motor all the way up and lock it. Remove the fill plug on the reservoir and with the boat level, fill her until she overflows. Replace plug. Cycle motor down and back up and wait 5 minutes for air to bubble up. Refill reservoir. Repeat several times. USe Dextron ATF to fill PTT.