bad fuel pump or electrical

jr85

Cadet
hi guys eveyone here has gave me tons of help on my first boat and im really thankful but i have yet another issue. just to recap it a 87 blackmax xr2 150 and it kept loading at idle then bogging when trying to take off but ran great at wot. well found the problem the flywheel was not bolted on right i moved it around took it out it ran great idle take off everything. took it back out friday to use for the weekend and right from the start exact same problem again but now i notice that the fuel filter is not keeping much fuel in it and can only see a fuel coming in when running hard. could the fuel pump be getting weak at idle but still operating at wot? or do i have another issue. thanks for any thoughts on the subject

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: bad fuel pump or electrical

Could be the fuel pump leaking raw gas into the crankcase. If you have the old fuel pump, check the pulse lines to see if there is raw gas in them. If you have the square fuel pump, you might have to pull it apart and see if the diaghram is leaking.

HTG

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I was using old gas recently and noticed that my engine would barely run. Luckily I had two tanks with me. I couldn't believe what that old gas was making the engine do I thought it was a major problem.

jr85

Cadet

Well i have been running 89 or 93 in it and when i filled it up i put a non ethanol gas but it was only 87 and i ve wonder if it cud be a problem i added some sea foam yesterday and it seemed to be a lil better but i also think i should get a new pump it was new when the motor was rebuilt the first time but then it set for 2 years before i got it