Lower Unit

Thighstone

Recruit
I replaced water pump impeller on 1985 mercury 115 and I'm having issues sliding lower unit back on. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Rubixone

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Lower Unit

make sure your water tubes are lined up inside as you slide it on. Dont force it, if it dont go on smooth its catching on something.

Thighstone

Recruit

Thanks for answering. I'm sure they are. It's the lower unit that now the prop doesn't turn freely. I think it needs to be in neutral and I don't know how to get it there. The upper unit is in neutral but not the lower. Any thoughts?

outlawfox13

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Rotate the gear at the top of the lower unit either direction to find neutral. Then put the connecting dowl back on the gear, slide the LU up slowly and wiggle it in place. It takes a little patients and an extra set of hands to move the throttle/shift back n forth while you lift it in place. Hit me up if you still cant get it. It took me about half an hour on my own when i did it.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Thigh, If the prop rachets when turned CW, the motor is in neutral. If it wont turn either way, it is in reverse. Turn the shift shaft CCW if in forward or CW if in reverse. The gears will go into and stay in neutral. Set the control into neutral as well.

Grease the shift and driveshaft splines and insert the white plastic water tube extension into the water pump outlet. Slide the gearcase onto the midsection (tilt motor up all the way), turn the flywheel until the splines align. Now use a needle nose plier to align the upper shift shaft with the lower shift shaft.