1977 Mercury 850 upper oill seal

hereto

Seaman
Hi,
Need to replace the upper oil seal on my old merc ( 1977 850 ). Have been told I need to pull the end cap? I don't see why the end cap needs to be pulled just to replace the oil seal. Am I missing something? Planned on carefully prying out the old seal, and pressing in a new one. Would greatly appreciate some input as to how I should go about replacing this oil seal.

Thanks
hereto

Re: 1977 Mercury 850 upper oill seal

I'm in the same boat. My 85hp is slightly leaking at the shift seal. I bought a Seloc today at West Marine covering our motors. I am currently wading through the manual trying to learn what I need to do to pull the whole bottom off to replace the seals.

I am hoping someone with much more experience than me will chime in.

hereto

Seaman

Thanks for the reply but the seal I am in need of replacing is not in the L/u but is the upper crankshaft seal located on the top of the power head. Thanks anyway.

hereto

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

The crank seal is pressed into the upper end cap. To replace it you need to pull the flywheel, stator and trigger. Remove the bolts that hold the end cap. Now loosen some of the nearby crankcase bolts, and the end cap may (may) pull out. Check the upper bearing and replace the oring seal as well as the crank seal. if the end cap won't pull out, you will need to pull the powerhead and open the crankcase.