mercury 120 jet. 1995. odd flywheel and starting question

ebear

Seaman
I've been working on this boat for a bit now. It had blown #4 piston so I bored it 30 over and rebuilt the motor. All is fine with that (i think). All appears as it should be anyway. But within the build I saw that the flywheel had 2 broken magnets and another loose one I ordered and replaced them and glued them on. reassembled the boat and tried to start it.....
first rotation it banged out the exaust. I checked timing on #1 cranking wot is @ 32deg. rechecked all the wiring. All was right

after that I tried again. didn't bang the first time, but after some stuttering and puttering it banged again so now I'm going to index all cylinders tdc and check each one with a timing light. All the cyl are firing, the gas is good, carbs are clean, mix needles are 1 1/16 out, grounds are good, fuel pressure is good, and plugs are in correct order

To put it in a nutshell, it sounds like it wants to run but it acts like something is out of order somehow. Is it a possability that when I glued the magnets back in, I reversed one or more and this is messing up the current through the ignition system? I searched everywhere for answer to this to no avail .Any clues or ideas to this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

ebear

Seaman
Re: mercury 120 jet. 1995. odd flywheel and starting question

got it. I was wrong on the needles