1980 Mercury Outboard stalling at high RPMs

SigiloEspado

Cadet
So, I've had this boat for a couple years now and have gone through several different fixes. I've replaced the plugs and cables, I've done a carb rebuild and I've replaced the fuel pump. I've also replaced the line from the tank. The issue I'm having is when I try to bring the engine up to high RPMs, it bogs down and stalls. The serial number on the motor is 5634325. I've been told that it could possibly be the "power pack"? Any insight or help would be greatly appreciated.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1980 Mercury Outboard stalling at high RPMs

Pump the fuel line primer bulb as you accelerate. If that fixes it, you have some kind of fuel line restriction.

SigiloEspado

Cadet

I have also tried that, but when I replaced the fuel line and pump that went away.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Does it bog when you first try to accelerate from idle, or once you get on plane?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

OK, it is likely your carbs idle mixture is set too lean. Open the top carb 1/8 turn (CCW), and see if acceleration improves. If not, open bottom carb 1/8 turn and try to accelerate. Repeat sequence as necessary testing acceleration after each adjustment.