oil resevoir on mariner 150

bmccaffry

Cadet
Hi guys I just bought a boat and getting ready to ake it out this weekend. The one thing thats lingering in the back of my head is the lack of an oil resevoir. I can see where there was one at one time but its no longer there. I was just gonna have to premix till I found one for sale but in the mean time I just wanted to make sure that the place where the oil line would have gone to is plugged. Can anyone tell me where to look? I gave it a good look over and couldnt find anyspots where it looked like there should be a line?

PuddleJumper

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: oil resevoir on mariner 150

Usually the oil pump that would supply oil to mix with the fuel is on the port side of the engine. It sounds like the prior owner had a prob with the oil injection and removed it in favor of pre mixing. Without knowing the specific part of the system that failed, it would be cost prohibitive to try and restore oil injection.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

A v6 Merc would have two resevoirs. One would be mounted in the boat and the other under the cowling. Check the oil injection pump to see if the oil line has been disconnected and the tee into the fuel line next to the fuel pump has been removed or plugged.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

yes, 50::1. Use 6 Gal regular unleaded gas to 1 pint TCW-III 2 cycle oil.

outlawfox13

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I disconnected my oil injection system. I routed the oil in line to the oil out line, and premix 50:1 and have been doing well on the water. My motor is a 1988 merc 100 hp. I drained my oil resevior and plugged the oil line, and the oil in line on the fuel pump. Hope this helps figuring out how to reconnect yours. Good luck, but imo i would just premix. My parts motor was recently tuned up(carbs, plugs, impeller, fuel pump) and the po had it on the water for 15 minutes before the motor locked up. So i disconnected mine so i dont have to worry about it. And even though my motor is a 2+2 the oil is mixed at the fuel pump, so if i premix then it lubes the same except at idle where it runs richer than normal(idle per manual says 80:1).

Mike