Mercury 1972 1150 reverse issue...

DVTO2

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So I finally got my 1972 Starcraft out for this year's shakedown this morning and things went well until I got back to the boat launch. I have always had a problem with the motor stalling when landing the boat, but that's for another thread. My bigger problem was that the reverse seemed to give out with lots of grinding - i could go forward fine but not in reverse. I just did a dry land test and the prop does spin in reverse but my guess is that's only because its not under load and it didn't magically fix itself. Thoughts and suggestions?

Wingedwheel

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Mercury 1972 1150 reverse issue...

Could be a couple of things. Might be the clutch-dog, or could be the gear. Might be your cable, shift-shaft coupler, ect. about the only way to determine what the problem is exactly, is tear into the gear-case. Most times a visual inspection will let you know what is worn. if you have a good factory manual and some mechanical ability it's not too bad of a job. There's always good help on here as well. Good luck!

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Before you tear into the gearcase, check your shift cable adjustment. Put the MerControl into neutral. Now remove the wrap cowl and remove the throttle and shift cable's barrel nuts from the clamp. Wiggle the shift cable until the shift arm has settled into the center of the neutral detent. Now adjust the shift cable barrel nut until it fits the clamp. If you don't need to adjust the shift cable, you may have a bad gearcase. Since disasembly and repair of the gearcase takes special tools and know-how, it is usual just to buy a good used gearcase and swap 'em out.

DVTO2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Before you tear into the gearcase, check your shift cable adjustment. Put the MerControl into neutral. Now remove the wrap cowl and remove the throttle and shift cable's barrel nuts from the clamp. Wiggle the shift cable until the shift arm has settled into the center of the neutral detent. Now adjust the shift cable barrel nut until it fits the clamp. If you don't need to adjust the shift cable, you may have a bad gearcase. Since disasembly and repair of the gearcase takes special tools and know-how, it is usual just to buy a good used gearcase and swap 'em out.

I will definitely check the shift cable. I looked at the manual and I don't think I have the skill to tear into the gearcase. Any suggestions on where to buy a lower unit and what they might cost?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

They seem to be pretty available and in the $300-$500 range. I have one laying around (Toms River, NJ) if you get desperate

DVTO2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

They seem to be pretty available and in the $300-$500 range. I have one laying around (Toms River, NJ) if you get desperate

There is a wing nut looking clamp on the back clip of the shift cable that was somewhat loose and askew - I tightened it up and am going to take it for a test (unfortunately its on a trailer and not a dock) it may be a long shot but I am keeping my fingers crossed.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Is that the barrel nut that is threaded onto the shift cable to adjust the length of the cable end? Is it clamped properly?

DVTO2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Is that the barrel nut that is threaded onto the shift cable to adjust the length of the cable end? Is it clamped properly?

I think so. Here is a picture of the what I think you mean by barrel nut and the second picture is of it clamped. It was clamped when I took the cowling off. I get good movement out of the shift cable. When I did my test in the water I did get the prop to spin in reverse, but there was slippage and grinding along the way.

Attachments

• Shift 001.jpg
    Shift 001.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Shift 002.jpg
    Shift 002.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 0

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

OK, adjust the shift cable as I outlined in my first post.

Alannuts

Recruit

So I finally got my 1972 Starcraft out for this year's shakedown this morning and things went well until I got back to the boat launch. I have always had a problem with the motor stalling when landing the boat, but that's for another thread. My bigger problem was that the reverse seemed to give out with lots of grinding - i could go forward fine but not in reverse. I just did a dry land test and the prop does spin in reverse but my guess is that's only because its not under load and it didn't magically fix itself. Thoughts and suggestions?[/QUOTE

I had the exact same problem with my 1977 85 HP Mercury outboard. It was on a pontoon boat so I tried doing the cable adjustment which lasted only a little while. Then after a couple seasons of not having reverse, or intermittant reverse, I lost the forward gear too.

I had the lower unit inspected and they told me that the threads in the lower housing had been "Pushed". They said there was not way to fix that other than a replacement housing. I'm not 100% convinced that is true, but I have not found a better solution...I found one online for about $ 500 plus shipping, but don't want to put that much money into a 1977 motor!

Currently I"m having another shop with an old-timer mechanic check it out for me.

Alan

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

yes, but shipping to Idaho may be cost prohibitive....I would think you have one closer....