45hp 4cyl mariner 1986 problems

shrimpman123

Seaman Apprentice
How do you get to the bottom carb nuts on this engine,actually the bottom left side(starboard).its under the starter sort of.really hard to get a wrench on that one.anybody got any secrets on how the best way to go at that bottom carb?I really appreciate any help.

hotrod53

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 45hp 4cyl mariner 1986 problems

I lived that problem with my 500 Merc, you have to remove the starter, no 2 ways about it! There are only 4 bolts and a cable and it's off. Also, when you get ready to remove the carb nuts, try a few different box wrenches. Some manufacturers make theirs different than others, sometimes a few degrees of shift in the teeth or a thinner outer ring on the wrench makes one work better than the next. There isn't much room in there, yet once done it is easy.

shrimpman123

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 45hp 4cyl mariner 1986 problems

How do you get to the bottom carb nuts on this engine,actually the bottom left side(starboard).its under the starter sort of.really hard to get a wrench on that one.anybody got any secrets on how the best way to go at that bottom carb?I really appreciate any help.
even with the starter off,,,, the bottom starter bracket is in the way,the bracket or,,half of it, is left behind,after removing the starter.should i go at it from the side under that bracket or what? anyone?