88 mercury wont even crank

wademoore33

Recruit
Folks I need some help new two boating ,question 1. I have a 2 stroke 88 mercury that ran and started took the family up the lake we stopped to swim went to start the motor up wouldnt turn over all I could do was here a small click at the engine. No crank nothing thought it might have been the key switch but that seems fine. Battery brand new and fully charged. question 2 the time out before i was running up the lake the it seemed fine as long as i did not open it full throttle it would tend to cut out I would back it down two half throttle and it would run fine. Any and all anwers would be most helpful.

Sunfish12

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 88 mercury wont even crank

Jump the starter at the starter terminal to see if it's the starter. If the starter spins check the starter solenoid, wiring and connections at the battery.

jr85

Cadet

Jump solenoid to c if starter works and at wot you are either running out of fuel maybe pump or your max timing is a little off depending on what type of cutting out it is doing

aussieflash

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Try the easy way first.Clean all starter and solenoid connections till shiny then re attach nice and snug.You might of found the cheapest fix of all time.