flywheel mounting

jr85

Cadet
hey guys if you unbolt the outer flywheel from the inner hub which bolts to the crank does it have to go back on exactly as it came off. i have been told that it don because it only the charging on the outer part and i been told that there is a couple timing pickups. whats everyone opinion on this?

ajgraz

Lieutenant Commander
Re: flywheel mounting

Well the timing marks are on the outer wheel. If you manage to get it on wrong, your timing marks will be way off.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

+1 on what ajgraz said. I bring cylinder #1 to TDC, make sure the flywheel timing mark is aligned with the timing wheel, mark the inner/outer flywheel and only then remove the outer wheel. That's my way on my Merc. I have to guess it should work for yours if I knew what motor you're working on.

jr85

Cadet

Sorry 87for mercury xr2 150 i knw the timing marks are way off alot people said the outer half is only for the chargingbut been having a problem with it running right a buddy looked at it today and first thing he asked was if i unbolted the outer half and if i put it back the same he said that most motors didnt matter other then the marks but it did on mine anyone herd this before

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

That motor runs on the stator pulses created by magnets on the flywheel. If the magnets are not exactly spaced, spark could be out of timing.

I recommend you set the motor to TDC using a screwdriver thru the spark plug hole and install the flywheel properly.

jr85

Cadet

so every time the #1 piston hits tdc the timing marks should be in the window? im new to the outboards i know on a car engine every other time is the firing stroke the guy said it wud be hard to find the right spot on land but if i put it in the water and move one hole at a time and do a lil test run each time it will clear up and run right as soon as i hit the right spot

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Jr, it is simple to install the flywheel correctly on land. The flywheel can only fit 8 ways. Each of these are 35* apart. So take a screwdriver and turn the flywheel until top cylinder until it is at TDC or close. Now remive flywheel bolts and adjust the flywheel until it reads TDC. Install the bolts into nearest hole. Use some blue locktight.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

JR, this is a 2 cycle motor. It fires all cylinders every revolution. It is not like a car, where you need to know when is compression stroke.....

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Correction, The flywheel can only be installed 8 ways which is 45* apart....sorry

jr85

Cadet

Thanks chris i wasnt sure about it firing every revolution but if it does then yea it real simple i will do it tonight and hopefully it will be running like a champ tomorrow