2003 25hp mercury big foot conversion from tiller

shakerace

Recruit
i am hoping somebody could help me out , i have a 2003 mercury bigfoot , 25hp tiller ... i wish to make this into electric start as well as remote controls (shift , speed , etc. ) thanks

oldman570

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 2003 25hp mercury big foot conversion from tiller

Switching the motor to electric start is fairly easy as most everthing can still be bought at dealers or others. Switching to remote is an other story and can get real costly for parts and gets more involed. Not realy something for a newbe unless you have a manufactures service manual and proper tools. It could be cheaper to trade the motor for one alittle newer with the setup already. I would shop around for the cost of the parts to do what you want first then make a decission as to what would be cheaper and better in the long run.
Just my .02
Oldman570

shakerace

Recruit

Switching the motor to electric start is fairly easy as most everthing can still be bought at dealers or others. Switching to remote is an other story and can get real costly for parts and gets more involed. Not realy something for a newbe unless you have a manufactures service manual and proper tools. It could be cheaper to trade the motor for one alittle newer with the setup already. I would shop around for the cost of the parts to do what you want first then make a decission as to what would be cheaper and better in the long run.
Just my .02
Oldman570

great , and thanks , anyway to get a list of the parts and part numbres , i cant seem to get anyone at the dealers to help out in reguards to the control cables , thanks

oldman570

Lieutenant Commander

If you go to http://www.crowleymarine.com/ you will be able to get some of the info you are looking for as they have diagrams there on site. You can call Mercery Marine or go to thier website, and they will have every thing you need also.
Some dealers will not work on motors that are over 10 years old and would rather sell new motors while other dealers will help out, as they realise that sooner or later you will need more work done or another motor, and want to keep thier doors open. you have to shop around for those dealers.
Oldman570