1990 Mercury XR4 150HP won't start

Last fishing trip, my motor was losing power, then running okay, then losing power, under throttle. After fishing for 4 hours, it wouldn't start. I have rebuilt the fuel pump. I've replaced the fuel filter, water separator/fuel filter, primer bulb, and spark plugs. I can flood the carbs by squeezing the bulb. I notice that the fuel in the filter drains back toward the fuel tank after a short period.

After trying to start the motor, my warning buzzer will beep rapidly before turning the key off. The oil reservoir above the power unit is full and the float is free. My battery is fully charged.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1990 Mercury XR4 150HP won't start

Have you checked too see if you have spark?? Sort of sounds like stator has a problem.....

Re: 1990 Mercury XR4 150HP won't start

Have you checked too see if you have spark?? Sort of sounds like stator has a problem.....

When I removed the flywheel cover to gain access to the stator, I saw a chafed wire jacket from the oil reservoir cap. Then I saw a broken wire. One butt splice later, the motor started on the first turn of the key. The wire bundle had come loose and contacted the flywheel, which burnt right through the jacket and one wire. Thanks for your reply. You couldn't see the problem without removing the flywheel cover.