1975 Mercury 850 - Bad starter solenoid?

kdp89

Cadet
I was out on the water trolling when out of no where the engine shuts off. Go to restart it and when i turn the key nothing happens, no click, no crank absolutely nothing. Had to get towed in.

I was looking over the motor today and noticed a couple things.

First, I am getting 12v to the positive side of the starter solenoid, and and when i turn the key i get 12v on the small yellow wire that also goes to the solenoid. Thats where the power stops. I get nothing anywhere after that. If i jump the solenoid the starter turns like normal.

Second, i pulled the wiring harness off the side of the motor, and when i did 2 of the male pins pulled out along with it. I jammed them back in and am still getting continuity through them, so i dont know how much of a problem this could be.

All in all i would just like to know if i need to replace the solenoid to get this thing started or if i am missing something else.

Also, the Choke button is not working anymore either.

Edit - Battery is brand new, all connections are bright and shiny.
Thanks

Last edited:

kazek

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1975 Mercury 850 - Bad starter solenoid?

your stator is not charging!!!!

kazek

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thats akward.check groung connection on selenoid and engine.you have sighns of wire detoriation.i would say that your starter needs maintenance(brushes cleanning and armature.somtimes it hits the spot where is rusted and does not get juice throu).hth
btw...what propeller pitch are u using and on what boat?

kdp89

Cadet

Grounds are all good and wiring was all replaced about a month ago. Not sure of the propeller pitch, but its running on what i believe to be an 18' wilker galaxie. The boat doesnt have a name plate to be found on it. I bought the combo for $450 about 2 months ago, motor wasnt running and the boats interior needs redone, but i got the motor running and it was going great till this.
I guess i will pull the starter out and have a look. No chance the solenoid is shot?

hotrod53

Chief Petty Officer

You can eliminate the solenoid being the issue by jumping across the two big terminals with a jumper cable, if the starter does not turn on, its your starter. The yellow wire is the coil wire that when 12V is applied, should close the solenoid. You can have burnt contacts in the solenoid, the jumper cable will prove or disprove that. If it turns over with the jumper, the solenoid is bad.

Don't be afraid to rip into a starter, not much in there. You will however have to take 5 minutes and a piece of tin or sheetmetal to make a tool to hold the brushes in place during reassembly. Try turning your starter just a bit by hand and trying to start again just in case it has a dead spot in the armature.

kazek

Petty Officer 2nd Class

if you dont hear the click coming from selenoid doing your test then its bad(stuck).try knock it gently with a hammer or similar tool to loosen it up.new selenoids go for about 30 bucks a pop.if starter goes with jumping it directly then it should be good too(winter project perhaps).the reason am asking bout propeler size is that i have the same motor and i think my 21p propeller is too big for 17ft humber boat ant want to pin point my problem