Mercury 500 throttle linkage

56north

Cadet
Hi- I'm wondering if my '73 mercury 500 is missing something. I haven't got this engine running yet but cannot see any way in which the gear linkage connects to the carbs'. I can see how you could 'open' the carbs' up by hand by way of the linkage between them but surely that linkage should go on to connect to the gear change linkage underneath?? Otherwise I cannot see how, when you put the engine in gear, the carbs can open up when they are ultimately controlled by the same cable. There is a small hole in the gear linkage underneath the carbs - is this missing something that links in to the carbs?????
Thanks in advance for any wisdom - please tell me I'm worrying about nothing!

hotrod53

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Mercury 500 throttle linkage

My '78 Merc has a Merc Control unit which requires 2 cables, one for shifting, one for throttle. Both cables enter the lower right side of the motor into an adjustable linkage on the front right side inside the motor cover. Lower right reference is from inside the boat, looking towards the stern.

I think what you are looking at is the carb syncronizer, it goes between the carbs, it's black plastic, and has a round ring in the center, and it can be adjusted on one end. There is no cable connected to the carbs, once the cables connect at the lower right of the engine, its all mechanical linkage from there.

56north

Cadet

Thanks very much for your reply. I had thought that the cold start lever and cable only operates the cold start but, of course, it is also the throttle cable which becomes linked to the forward/reverse lever within the mercontrol unit.

davidmerc50

Cadet

My '78 Merc has a Merc Control unit which requires 2 cables, one for shifting, one for throttle. Both cables enter the lower right side of the motor into an adjustable linkage on the front right side inside the motor cover. Lower right reference is from inside the boat, looking towards the stern.

I think what you are looking at is the carb syncronizer, it goes between the carbs, it's black plastic, and has a round ring in the center, and it can be adjusted on one end. There is no cable connected to the carbs, once the cables connect at the lower right of the engine, its all mechanical linkage from there.

hey i broke this piece the carb sync linkage and i cant find one no where do you know where i can find one?

oldman570

Lieutenant Commander

A search for your motor parts at Crowlley marine.com will get you the part you need i belive. Have the year motor and sr# when Looking for parts. A manual for the motor should be bought, if you do not have one already, as there are certin steps that have to be done in just a certin way to do a sync & link on the carbs and timming. If not done correctly you will have nothing but trouble with the motor. JMO
Oldman 570